Dubuque AMP - AMP | Achieving Maximum Potential
 

Dubuque AMP

Welcome to the Dubuque AMP page! We're glad you visited us. :)

 

Our council is done in partnership with Hillcrest Family Services, and we collaborate with several other groups and agencies in the city to get the best programming possible each month. Meetings are held several times a month and are led by Central Council youth and an adult AMP Alumni/Volunteer. We meet every Monday from 6:30 - 8:00 PM at the Multicultural Family Center (1157 Central Avenue) and the third Thursday of each month from 6:30 - 8:00 PM at the AY McDonald Fellowship Hall in the Hadley Chapel (Hillcrest Campus, 2005 Asbury Road).

Call for Artists: From May 18-20th, the Dubuque Fine Arts Festival is taking over Washington Park, and AMP has a booth! We are looking for AMP youth from across the state to participate in our Identity Project—this will be an exhibit for National Foster Care Month, and the coolest part is that this is an opportunity for youth to work on skills for being a professional artist. Youth who wish to sell their work will be able to keep 90% of the proceeds, with the other 10% going to AMP (or they can choose to donate more). If we don’t have a way to follow up with you, all money goes to AMP—we also welcome adult supporters to donate pieces to benefit our program! (Indy will be creating some works to donate for the cause: superhero art, anyone?)

Coming up in March, we're going to be focusing on the subject of housing: we'll be doing a service project to gather supplies for the local homeless folx, learning about renter's rights and responsibilities and what it takes to maintain an apartment.

In January, we offered the AMP new member training to help youth learn what we're all about. If you want to know some of the basics, this video is a good start!

We got ready for AMP Day on the Hill and rocked it at the State Capitol! Here's a picture of some of the Dubuque Council with Representative Chuck Isenhart!

We've been doing an awesome job of educating others on the needs of foster and adoptive youth. Not only did we get to do this with our legislators at Day on the Hill, but we also spoke in this last session of TIPS-MAPP classes!

An AMP Central Council youth with other attendees of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Celebration.

One of our Central Council members went to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Celebration and said it was very inspiring. Farris Muhammad, the director of the Multicultural Family Center was the keynote speaker. Click here to check out a video of him discussing his remarks.

In January, we also saw the lung demonstration during our meeting for Iowa Students for Tobacco Education and Prevention. And learned about Voter ID laws in the State of Iowa and how to stay informed about elections in the City of Dubuque. You can even sign up to get reminders on your phone about elections, through Turbovote!

February started off with a decent amount of bad weather and the resulting cancellations, but we finished strong! We got to see Step Afrika! thanks to the Multicultural Family Center, held a gym night on the Hillcrest campus, and we had a group go to the AMP Plugged in and Charging Conference at Indian Hills Community College in Ottumwa. The conference was super cool and left us feeling both informed and inspired.

For a meeting of Teens Against Human Trafficking, we talked about statistics on trafficking and made posters for awareness.

Transportation is available to our meetings, so please contact us if you need a ride!

To stay current with Dubuque AMP news, check out the Northeast Iowa Teen Empowerment Facebook Page!

* denotes a required field.
Name: *
Email: *
Phone Number:  
Question or Comments: *
© 2018 YSS All rights reserved.